Botanical art and illustration is the centuries-old tradition of portraying plants for scientific purposes, recording vanishing species for historical record, and capturing the beauty and inspiration we experience in the flora of our world.
In our School of Botanical Art & Illustration, the core curriculum provides comprehensive instruction in the artistic techniques aesthetic vision you’ll need to render plants in remarkable scientific detail, creating beautiful and lasting plant portraits.
- Beginners acquire new knowledge and skills, and experienced artists refine their techniques and find fresh directions for their work. Instructors meet participants where they are in the botanical art and illustration journey. All students enjoy small classes in a positive and encouraging atmosphere.
- Nearly 200 courses and workshops are offered each year. Those interested are encouraged to sample the program with an introductory course or jump right into the core curriculum.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
Cancellations more than one week prior to a class are subject to a 15 percent cancellation fee. Cancellations less than one week prior to class are non-refundable.
Requirements for Individual Courses
Attendance is required at the first class for all courses.
- Application for Diploma in Botanical Illustration
- Scholarship Program
- Illustrator / Artist-in-Residence Program information and application
- Sign up for our Art and Exhibits e-newsletters
- Café Botanique — These lectures bring Botanical Art and Illustration students, Gardens' members, the general public, academia and artists together to discuss botanical science, research and art. Preregistration is required for one elective course credit.
- School of Botanical Art & Illustration Blog
- School of Botanical Art & Illustration Facebook page
- Contact the School of Botanical Art & Illustration
Weather Advisory Line
In the event of inclement weather, please call this number for information on program cancellations.