Botanical art and illustration is the centuries-old tradition of portraying plants for scientific purposes, recording vanishing species for historical record, and capturing the beauty and inspiration we experience in the flora of our world.
In our School of Botanical Art & Illustration, the core curriculum provides comprehensive instruction in the artistic techniques aesthetic vision you’ll need to render plants in remarkable scientific detail, creating beautiful and lasting plant portraits.
- Beginners acquire new knowledge and skills, and experienced artists refine their techniques and find fresh directions for their work. Instructors meet participants where they are in the botanical art and illustration journey. All students enjoy small classes in a positive and encouraging atmosphere.
- Nearly 200 courses and workshops are offered each year. Those interested are encouraged to sample the program with an introductory course or jump right into the core curriculum.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
Cancellations more than one week prior to a class are subject to a 15 percent cancellation fee. Cancellations less than one week prior to class are non-refundable.
Requirements for Individual Courses
Attendance is required at the first class for all courses.
- Application for Diploma in Botanical Illustration
- Registration opens Monday, Dec. 14 at 10 a.m. for a variety of Jan. 1 - March 31, 2021 online courses as well as limited in-person classes
- 2020 Illustrator / Artist-in-Residence Program information and application
- Scholarship Program information and application (2021 application deadline was Nov. 15, 2020)
- Sign up for our Art & Exhibitions and School of Botanical Art & Illustration e-newsletters
- Follow us on Facebook to get the latest scoop on new courses, fresh faces and fun art activities, including new ways to share your artwork
- Contact the School of Botanical Art & Illustration
Weather Advisory Line
In the event of inclement weather, please call this number for information on program cancellations.
Denver Botanic Gardens’ School of Botanical Art & Illustration celebrates 40 years of beautiful, scientific art education. The school also celebrates the 30th anniversary of its certificate program.
In the coming years, the school looks forward to continuing its renowned scientific illustration courses while broadening the scope to include many other forms of botanical art.