Botanical art and illustration is the centuries-old tradition of portraying plants for scientific purposes, recording vanishing species for historical record, and capturing the beauty and inspiration we experience in the flora of our world.
In our School of Botanical Art & Illustration, the core curriculum provides comprehensive instruction in the artistic techniques aesthetic vision you’ll need to render plants in remarkable scientific detail, creating beautiful and lasting plant portraits.
- Download the printable 2019 winter/spring Botanical Art & Illustration course catalog which includes course requirements and general information.
- Beginners acquire new knowledge and skills, and experienced artists refine their techniques and find fresh directions for their work. Instructors meet participants where they are in the botanical art and illustration journey. All students enjoy small classes in a positive and encouraging atmosphere.
- Nearly 200 courses and workshops are offered each year. Those interested are encouraged to sample the program with an introductory course or jump right into the core curriculum.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
Cancellations more than one week prior to a class are subject to a 15 percent cancellation fee. Cancellations less than one week prior to class are non-refundable.
Requirements for Individual Courses
Attendance is required at the first class for all courses.
Illustrator / Artist-in-Residence Program: Given construction of the new Freyer – Newman Center this year, the School of Botanical Art & Illustration will not offer its standard residency opportunity. Check back here later this year for information about 2020 residency opportunities to be offered once we are in our new facility.
- Application for Diploma in Botanical Illustration
- Scholarship Program
- Sign up for our Art and Exhibits e-newsletters
- Café Botanique — These lectures bring Botanical Art and Illustration students, Gardens' members, the general public, academia and artists together to discuss botanical science, research and art. Preregistration is required for one elective course credit.
- Facebook page
- Contact the School of Botanical Art & Illustration