Therapeutic horticulture is a sensory, plant-based, outreach and on-site program for senior adults and those with special needs.
The Gardens offers a number of ways to engage with participants:
- Summer Therapeutic Horticulture — Come to the York Street gardens mid-May through September for a tour of the Sensory Garden, an activity of your choice and a plant for each participant to take home.
- Winter Therapeutic Horticulture — Offered November through March, this program comes to your facility, providing a sensory tour of potted plants and a hands-on activity of your choice.
- Summer Low Sensory Mornings and Evenings — Experience the gardens without the crowds. Offered May through September, the Gardens will open early on select mornings and will stay open later on select evenings for those who wish to connect with plants in a safe, restful location.
- Horticultural Therapy Services — The Gardens’ trained horticultural therapy staff provides consulting services to eligible for-profit and nonprofit facilities.
- SPARK! Cultural Programming for People with Memory Loss — Participants with mild memory loss have the opportunity to enjoy hands-on garden related projects. Classes are year round on select Tuesdays, and are held at York Street and Chatfield Farms.
- Veterans Farm Program at Chatfield Farms — This horticulture program supports the vocational, social, physical and therapeutic goals of post-9/11 military veterans.