We encourage visitors to take casual photographs or videos via phones or cameras for personal use, including social media. Personal photography is not be sold or used for brand or personal marketing.
Portrait and Fine Art Photography requires the purchase of a one-time or annual photography permit:
- All who wish to use Denver Botanic Gardens York Street and Denver Botanic Gardens Chatfield Farms as a backdrop/setting for portrait photography, even if the photographer is NOT a professional, must purchase a photography permit.
- Portrait photography is defined as, but not limited to: senior, engagement, professional head shots, family, graduation, wedding, etc.
- Photos taken to be sold or exhibited as art require a permit.
- Annual permit holders must make a reservation before each session.
Press photography must be organized through the public relations department. Photographers with appropriate credentials for promotion of the Gardens will not be charged a fee, but must be accompanied by staff during their visit. Contact Erin Bird at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Large Groups and Private Space photography requests require a reservation through the Private Events Department. This applies to groups of 21 people or more and if private space (green room, storage, dressing room, etc) is desired. Photography packages that include room rentals start at $2,000 per day. For more information please contact our Events Department at 720-865-3551 or email@example.com.
Commercial Photography/Videography is NOT permitted at Denver Botanic Gardens York Street and Denver Botanic Gardens Chatfield Farms. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Stock images
- Brand and product photography including fashion shoots
- Promotional use on product, brand, company website and social media
- Promotional use on product, brand, company website and social media
Photography Policy & Guidelines
By purchasing a photography permit you agree to abide by the following policies and guidelines:
- Photography sessions cannot take place before or after normal business hours.
- No pets are allowed in the Gardens (service animals excepted).
- No smoking is permitted in the Gardens, including vaporizers and e-cigarettes.
- The use of drones is strictly prohibited.
- Clients must be fully and appropriately clothed (i.e., no nudity, swimsuits, lingerie, etc.)
- Clients must arrive fully prepared, including hair, makeup and styling.
- No dressing rooms or storage areas will be provided unless the room package was purchased.
- Photography sessions should not disrupt visitor access, employee access, special events or pedestrian flow.
- Photography sessions are not permitted in the Butterflies at Chatfield Farms butterfly house.
- Tripods, gear and people must stay on paths at all time and not stand or walk through dirt, mulch and flower beds.
- Denver Botanic Gardens property may not be moved or disturbed. This includes, but is not limited to: picking/cutting plant material, moving benches/displays, etc.
- Trees, walls, fences, statues or any other structures may not be climbed. Plant beds and water features may not be entered.
- Motorized and non-motorized vehicles are not permitted, with the exception of wheelchairs and strollers.
- Professional photography is prohibited at certain Gardens events, including but not limited to: Summer Concert Series, Lavender Festival, Corn Maze, Pumpkin Festival and Trail of Lights or other specially ticketed events.
- The Gardens reserves the right to halt any photography sessions deemed to be disruptive. Annual permits may be revoked if permit holders do not abide by these guidelines.
- The Gardens assumes no responsibility for loss, theft or damage to any equipment or belongings.
- All participants must be present and enter the Gardens as a group through the Chatfield Farms Earl J. Sinnamon Visitor Center; we cannot accommodate late or individual arrivals.
- Participants should check in at the front desk with Visitor Services staff. Once payment and paperwork are confirmed you will be issued a photography permit. Fees must be paid and paperwork must be completed prior to entering the Gardens. Photography badges must be clearly displayed at all times.
- Any unauthorized portrait/commercial photography sessions will be escorted from the Gardens.
- Absolutely NO wedding ceremonies may be performed on the Gardens property without advance reservation with our Private Events Department. Parties not in compliance will be asked to leave immediately.
- Gardens staff members may approach photographers at any time and request to see the photography permit.
- Gardens staff may approach photographers to discuss alternatives to their session if Gardens maintenance or special events are in progress.
- Groups found violating any of our policies will be asked to end their session and will be escorted from the Gardens.
- All artwork on display at York Street and Chatfield Farms is subject to copyright and other intellectual property law. It is the responsibility of the photographer to secure appropriate permissions for the use of artwork images. Permission to photograph at the Gardens does not include permission to use images of copyrighted artwork and the Gardens is unable to provide such permissions.
Please note: Denver Botanic Gardens reserves the right to turn away photographers who are not operating in accordance with our rules and regulations, as well as photographers who have not made reservations.
Denver Botanic Gardens reserves the right to adjust these policies at any time, with or without notice, in the best interest of the Gardens and the general public.
To ensure the safety of our guests during COVID-19, photography permits are currently not available.
One-Time Use Photography Permit*:
- Photography reservations requests must be made at least ONE WEEK in advance.
- Arriving without a reservation may result in the refusal of a photo permit due to previously scheduled events. If the session is allowed, a higher fee will be charged for non-reserved sessions.
- Group Size and Price
- 1-6 People: $100
- 7-13 People: $250
- 14-20 People: $400
- Groups that have not reserved a photo shoot will be charged a $50 walk-in fee in addition to the above pricing.
- Groups of 21 people or more are required to make a Private Events reservation. For more information please contact our Events Department at 720-865-3551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*One-Time Use permits (both reserved and non-reserved) are good for ONE photography session per photographer, with a maximum 2-hour time limit. If fewer than two hours, pro-rating does not apply.
Annual Photography Permit: $500
Annual permits provide photography access for ONE named photographer to Denver Botanic Gardens and Chatfield Farms for one year (12 months).
- Annual Photography Permits can be purchased over the phone by calling 720-865-3500 or in person at the Bonfils-Stanton Visitor Center.
- Annual permit holders must make reservations for their photography sessions in advance.
- Groups must be limited to no more than 20 people per session (including photographer, assistants, etc.).
- Photo shoots are limited to one group per two-hour session.
- Multiple sessions may take place in one day with multiple reservations.
- An additional named photographer may be added to the permit for $250.
- There are NO refunds for Photography Permits, including One-Time Use and Annual Permits.
- Payments are valid for 30 days from the date received; sessions may be rescheduled during this time with Visitor Services staff. Rescheduling must be agreed upon prior to the new shoot date. Reschedule by email at email@example.com or by calling the Resource Center at 720-865-3500.
Please note: The photography policy was created to protect the grounds and the artwork, both inside and outdoors. Additionally, the policy allows the Gardens to control the number of photography shoots on the grounds at one time to lessen the disruptions of scheduled events. Fees directly support the Gardens’ mission of connecting people with plants.