Earth Day at Chatfield Farms
Falling on Saturday, April 22 this year, Earth Day’s theme has been announced as “Invest in our Planet.” A celebration of environmental action and protection, Earth Day serves as a call to all citizens to do their part for the planet. To invest in the planet is to invest in a healthy and sustainable future for generations to come. Earth Day is an opportunity to cherish the time spent in nature, and Denver Botanic Gardens Chatfield Farms is the perfect immersive setting.
Nestled in the foothills south of Denver, Chatfield Farms serves as a working farm, an oasis of ornamental gardens and a refuge for multiple species of wildlife and pollinators. When visitors arrive, they may first notice the wide-open, wild spaces of the Platte River Valley, followed by acres of sustainable agriculture and ornamental horticulture over gentle grades in the shadow of the Dakota Lyons hogback. There are also walking trails, riparian areas and wildlife habitat. Throughout the gardens, plants will be awakening from their winter slumber, and spring bulbs and flowering shrubs and trees will be making their presence known with fragrant blooms.
This year, Chatfield Farms is hosting several Earth Day-related educational opportunities and demonstrations for all ages on April 22 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.:
- Sustainable agricultural demonstrations such as planting, composting and vermiculture will be taught by skilled farmers.
- Irrigation audits and water quality demonstrations will cover the topic of water scarcity and conservation of resources.
- Educational staff will be stationed across the property to teach the young and young at heart about the wonders of the planet and Chatfield Farms’ ecosystems.
- Barrel train rides will be available for those who want to take a spin around the property.
April 22 is an SCFD Free Day, so admission to Chatfield Farms is free all day! Earth Day activities take place 10 a.m. – 2p.m. and are also free. Snacks and refreshments will be available for purchase. The site has numerous shaded picnic tables and sunny picnicking areas for those who choose to bring their own food. Advanced registration is required. Get tickets.
Celebrate Earth Day outdoors this year with likeminded peers, learn how to invest in our planet and behold the sights and sounds of nature at Chatfield Farms.
Chatfield Farms is located at 8500 W Deer Creek Canyon Road in Littleton, just off of C-470 & Wadsworth Blvd.
- ‹ Previous Article: Sclerocactus glaucus To Be Removed From Endangered Species List
- Next Article: Worms by the Numbers ›