The holiday season is in full bloom at York Street as Blossoms of Light™ delights thousands of guests each night with mesmerizing displays of light and color. Though it is a tradition for many Front Range families, the new designs and features provide a new adventure every year for even the most seasoned visitors. In fact, for the second year in a row, CNN has ranked Blossoms of Light as one of the top places to see lights in the entire country!
As you wander the lights, keep in mind that it takes a lot to get to this point! Here are some fun facts about Blossoms of Light that, if they don’t make you enjoy the lights even more, may at least shed some light (ha) on the scope and scale of this massive public event.
- Blossoms of Light opened its first season of illumination 30 years ago in 1988.
- Blossoms of Light is the Gardens’ largest single event of the year, drawing in more guests and revenue than any other.
- It takes 13 months to design, plan, and execute the event. We’ve already started on the 2019 design!
- Installation of lights begins on the Tuesday after Labor Day, and every light is removed by the end of February. Lights are installed with poles, lifts, climbing harnesses, waders and cherry-picker buckets.
- Custom-strung lights, such as the red and white bulbs in the bank of cottonwoods at the heart of the Gardens, are built by hand starting in early summer. Unusual light colors, such as teal or purple, must be ordered 6-8 months in advance because manufacturers only produce limited quantities each year.
- We estimate there are over half a million individual lights in the entire display. The exact number is very difficult to calculate!
- 100 percent of the decorative lights used are LED.
- Squirrels and wind are the biggest enemies to the lighting equipment.
- The eagle-eyed visitor may notice that we double-dip in a few areas – we turn on some of the spookiest lights for Glow at the Gardens in October.
- In 2017, over 160,000 people visited Blossoms of Light.
- It takes 67 people to operate the event each night.
- Nearly 24,000 pairs of HoloSpex glasses were sold in 2017.
Tickets are selling quickly, so get yours before they are gone. We look forward to celebrating the season of light with you!
Blossoms of Light is open 5-9 p.m. every night through January 1. Advance purchases are highly recommended to get the best price and to ensure admittance on your desired date. Get your tickets today!