We encourage visitors to take casual photographs or videos via phones or digital cameras for their personal use. Personal photographs and videos are not to be used for commercial purposes.
A photography permit must be purchased for the following groups:
- All who wish to use Denver Botanic Gardens as a backdrop/setting for portrait and commercial photography.
- All portrait photography including, but not limited to: senior, engagement, family, graduation, wedding, etc.
- All commercial photography including, but not limited to: catalog, fashion, advertisement, promotion, etc.
- All photographs for any commercial use, even if the photographer is NOT a professional.
- Stock photography/fim is NOT permitted at Denver Botanic Gardens.
- Groups of more than 20 participants require an Private Event reservation.
- Photography/film of product, business commercials or promotional materials are NOT permitted at Denver Botanic Gardens
Press organization must contact the public relations department before taking photos or video at the Gardens. This includes, but is not limited to: print and online editorial photography, editorial fashion shoots, TV b-roll and blog media. Commercial videography is not permitted at the Gardens. No fees will be charged to photographers with appropriate news credentials for promotion of the Gardens and must be accompanied by staff during their visit. Contact Erin Bird at email@example.com.
Large Groups and Private Space
For all groups of 20 people or more a Private Events reservation is required. If you require a private space to utilize as a green room, storage area, dressing room, etc. a Private Events reservation is also required. Room rentals start at $1,000 per day. For more information please contact our Events department at 720-865-3551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography Policy & Guidelines
By purchasing a photography permit you agree to abide by the following policies and guidelines:
- Photography sessions are not permitted before or after normal business hours.
- No pets are allowed in the Gardens (service animals excepted).
- No smoking is permitted in the Gardens, including vaporizers.
- Clients/models must be fully and appropriately clothed (i.e., no nudity, swimsuits, lingerie, etc.)
- Clients/models must arrive fully prepared, including hair, makeup, and styling. No dressing rooms or storage areas will be permitted.
- Photography sessions should not disrupt visitor access, employee access, special events or pedestrian flow.
- Denver Botanic Gardens property may not be moved or disturbed. This includes, but is not limited to: standing/walking through flower beds, picking/cutting plant material, moving benches/displays, etc.
- Trees, walls, fences, statues or any other structures may not be climbed. Plant beds and water features may not be entered.
- Motorized and non-motorized vehicles are not permitted, with the exception of wheelchairs and strollers.
- Professional photography is prohibited at certain Gardens events, including but not limited to: Summer Concert Series, Unwind or other specially ticketed events.
- The Gardens reserves the right to halt any photography sessions deemed to be disruptive. Annual permits may be revoked if permit holders do not abide by these guidelines.
- The Gardens assumes no responsibility for loss, theft, or damage to any equipment or belongings.
- All participants must be present and enter the Gardens as a group; we cannot accommodate late or individual arrivals. To avoid congestion in our lobby, please meet your party or photographer outside of the Bonfils-Stanton Visitor Center. Please do not crowd in front of the doors, front desk, or kiosks.
- Participants should check in at the front desk with Visitor Services staff. Once payment and paperwork are confirmed you will be issued a photography permit. Fees must be paid and paperwork must be completed prior to entering the Gardens. Photography badges must be clearly displayed at all times.
- Any unauthorized portrait/commercial photography sessions will be escorted from the Gardens.
- Absolutely NO wedding ceremonies may be performed on the Gardens property without advance reservation. Parties not in compliance will be asked to leave immediately.
- Gardens staff members may approach photographers at any time and request to see your permit.
- Gardens staff may approach photographers to discuss alternatives to their session if Gardens maintenance or special events are in progress.
- Groups found to violating any of our policies will be asked to end their session and will be escorted from the Gardens.
Please note: Denver Botanic Gardens reserves the right to turn away photographers who are not operating in accordance with our rules and regulations, as well as photographers who have not made reservations.
Denver Botanic Gardens reserves the right the right to adjust these policies at any time, with or without notice, in the best interest of the Gardens and the general public.
- Photography reservations must be made at least ONE WEEK in advance.
- Arriving without a reservation may result in the refusal of a photo permit due to previously scheduled events. If the session is allowed, a higher fee will be charged for non-reserved sessions.
- Group Size and Price
- 1-6 People: $100
- 7-13 People: $250
- 14-20 People: $400
- Groups that have not reserved a photo shoot will be charged a $50 walk-in fee in addition to the above pricing.
- Groups of 21 people or more are required to make a Private Events reservation. For more information please contact our Events department at 720-865-3551 or email@example.com.
*One-Time Use permits (both reserved and non-reserved) are good for ONE photography session, with a maximum 2-hour time limit. If fewer than two hours, pro-rating does not apply.
Annual permits provide photography access for ONE named photographer to Denver Botanic Gardens for one year (12 months). Annual permit holders must make reservations for their photography sessions. Additional photographers at the same studio may be added to an annual permit for an additional $250 per year.
One year (12 months) of photography access to Denver Botanic Gardens: $500
Groups must be limited to no more than 20 people per session (including photographer, assistants, etc.). Annual Permit holders must still reserve every photo shoot. Photo shoots are limited to one group per two-hour session. Multiple sessions may take place in one day with multiple reservations.
- There are NO refunds for Photography Permits, including One-Time Use and Annual Permits.
- Payments is valid for 30 days from the date received; sessions may be rescheduled during this time with Visitor Services staff. Rescheduling must be agreed upon prior to the new shoot date. Reschedule by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: The photography policy was created to protect the grounds and the artwork, both inside and outdoors. Additionally, the policy allows the Gardens to control the number of photography shoots on the grounds at one time to lessen the disruptions of scheduled events. Fees directly support the Gardens’ mission of connecting people with plants.