We encourage visitors to take casual photographs or videos via phones or digital cameras for their personal use. Personal photographs and videos are not to be used for commercial purposes.
A photography permit must be purchased for the following groups:
All who wish to use Denver Botanic Gardens and Chatfield Farms as a backdrop/setting for any portrait photography, even if the photographer is NOT a professional, must purchase a photography permit.
Portrait photography is defined as, but not limited to: senior, engagement, family, graduation, wedding, etc.
Commercial photography/videography is NOT permitted at Denver Botanic Gardens or Chatfield Farms.
Commercial photography/videography is defined as, but not limited to: catalog, fashion, advertisement, promotion, etc.
Press organization must contact the public relations department before taking photos or video at the Gardens. This includes, but is not limited to: print and online editorial photography, editorial fashion shoots, TV b-roll and blog media. Photographers with appropriate credentials for promotion of the Gardens will not be charged a fee, but must be accompanied by staff during their visit. Contact Erin Bird at email@example.com.
Large Groups and Private Space
A Private Events reservation is required for all groups of 21 people or more. If you require private space for your shoot, a green room, storage area, dressing room, etc. a Private Event reservation is also required. Room rentals start at $1,000 per day. For more information please contact our Events department at 720-865-3551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stock photography/film is NOT permitted at Chatfield Farms.
- Photography/video of Denver Botanic Gardens and Chatfield Farms and its collection cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- Film/video of product, business commercials or promotional materials are NOT permitted at Denver Botanic Gardens and Chatfield Farms.
Photography Policy & Guidelines
By purchasing a photography permit you agree to abide by the following policies and guidelines:
- Photography sessions are not permitted before or after normal business hours.
- No pets are allowed in the Gardens (service animals excepted).
- No smoking is permitted in the Gardens, including vaporizers.
- Clients/models must be fully and appropriately clothed (i.e., no nudity, swimsuits, lingerie, etc.)
- Clients/models must arrive fully prepared, including hair, makeup, and styling. No dressing rooms or storage areas will be permitted.
- Photography sessions should not disrupt visitor access, employee access, special events or pedestrian flow.
- The use of drones is strictly prohibited.
- Chatfield Farms property may not be moved or disturbed. This includes, but is not limited to: standing/walking through flower beds, picking/cutting plant material, moving benches/displays, etc.
- Trees, walls, fences, statues or any other structures may not be climbed. Plant beds and water features may not be entered.
- Motorized and non-motorized vehicles are not permitted, with the exception of wheelchairs and strollers.
- Professional photography is prohibited at Chatfield Farms events, including but not limited to: Summer Concert Series, Lavender Festival, Corn Maze, Pumpkin Festival, Santa's Village at Chatfield Farms or other specially ticketed events.
- Chatfield Farms reserves the right to halt any photography sessions deemed to be disruptive. Annual permits may be revoked if permit holders do not abide by these guidelines.
- Chatfield Farms assumes no responsibility for loss, theft, or damage to any equipment or belongings.
- Participants should check in at the front desk with Visitor Services staff. Once payment and paperwork are confirmed you will be issued a photography permit. Fees must be paid and paperwork must be completed prior to entering the Gardens. Photography badges must be clearly displayed at all times.
- Any unauthorized portrait/commercial photography sessions will be charged the daily photography rate and be escorted from Chatfield Farms.
- Absolutely NO wedding ceremonies may be performed on Chatfield Farms property without advance reservation with our Private Events Department. Parties not in compliance will be asked to leave immediately.
- Chatfield Farms staff members may approach photographers at any time and request to see your permit.
- Chatfield Farms staff may approach photographers to discuss alternatives to their session if Gardens maintenance or special events are in progress.
- Groups found violating any of our policies will be asked to end their session and will be escorted from Chatfield Farms.
- All artwork on display at York Street and Chatfield Farms is subject to copyright and other intellectual property law. It is the responsibility of the photographer to secure appropriate permissions for the use of artwork images. Permission to photograph at the Gardens does not include permission to use images of copyrighted artwork and the Gardens is unable to provide such permissions.
Please note: Chatfield Farms reserves the right to turn away photographers who are not operating in accordance with our rules and regulations, as well as photographers who have not made reservations.
Chatfield Farms reserves the right to adjust these policies at any time, with or without notice, in the best interest of the Gardens and the general public.
To obtain a photography permit, please submit the online reservation request form or call the Resource Center at 720-865-3500. If the request is approved, a confirmation email will be sent to the provided email address.
One-Time use Photography Permit*:
- Photography permit reservation requests must be made at least ONE WEEK in advance.
- Arriving without a reservation may result in the refusal of a photo permit due to previously scheduled events. If the session is allowed, a higher fee will be charged for non-reserved sessions.
- Group Size and Price
- 1-6 People: $100
- 7-13 People: $250
- 14-20 People: $400
- Groups that have not reserved a photo shoot will be charged a $50 walk-in fee in addition to the above pricing.
- Groups of 21 people or more are required to make a Private Events reservation. For more information please contact our Private Events department at email@example.com.
*One-Time Use permits (both reserved and non-reserved) are good for ONE photography session, with a maximum 2-hour time limit. If fewer than two hours, pro-rating does not apply.
Annual permits provide photography access for ONE named photographer to Denver Botanic Gardens and Chatfield Farms for one year (12 months).
- Annual permit holders must make reservations for their photography sessions.
- Groups must be limited to no more than 20 people per session (including photographer, assistants, etc.).
- Photo shoots are limited to one group per two-hour session.
- Multiple sessions may take place in one day with multiple reservations.
- There are NO refunds for Photography Permits, including One-Time Use and Annual Permits.
- Payments are valid for 30 days from the date received; sessions may be rescheduled during this time with Visitor Services staff. Rescheduling must be agreed upon prior to the new shoot date. Reschedule by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the Resource Center at 720-865-3500.
Please note: The photography policy was created to protect the grounds and the artwork, both inside and outdoors. Additionally, the policy allows Chatfield Farms to control the number of photography shoots on the grounds at one time to lessen the disruptions of scheduled events. Fees directly support the Gardens' mission of connecting people with plants.