Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Included with admission to the Gardens
Denver Botanic Gardens’ observance of Día de los Muertos will be celebrated this year with indoor screenings of Disney’s Pixar film "Coco." Seating is limited, so arrive early to shop the mercado and to get your face painted before the film.
While you’re here, enjoy the display of ofrendas created by members of the Denver community and a special holiday exhibition in the Bonsai Pavilion.
Entertainment & Activity Schedule
1) MITCHELL HALL
"Coco" Screenings: 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
(Seating limited to 300 per screening)
Proyección de la película “Coco”: 9:30 h, 11:30 h, 13:30 h
(El cupo está limitado a 300 por proyección)
2) MARNIE’S PAVILION
Denver Zoo: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Zoológico de Denver: 9:00 h – 15:00 h
Altars of Remembrance: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Altares de recuerdo: 9:00 h – 15:00 h
4) BESIDE THE SHOP AT THE GARDENS
Community Altar: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Altar comunitario: 9:00 h – 15:00 h
5) WEST TERRACE
Face Painting: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Tickets $5 & $15 (last ticket sold at 1:30 p.m.)
Pinta caritas: 9:00 h – 15:00 h
Boletos $5 y $15 (la venta de boletos se acaba a las 13:30 p.m.)
6) UMB BANK AMPHITHEATER
Kid’s Craft Corner: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. (while supplies last)
Actividades de artesanales para niños: 9:00 h – 15:00 h (hasta que se agoten)
Craft Vendors: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Vendedores de artesanías: 9:00 h – 15:00 h
Mexican folk dance with México en la Piel: 11 a.m. & 1 p.m. (weather dependent)
Baile Folklórico con México en la Piel: 11:00 h & 13:00 h (dependiente del clima)
Mariachi Los Correcaminos of MSU Denver: 2:30 p.m.
Mariachi Los Correcaminos de MSU Denver: 14:30 h
For more information about the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about becoming a sponsor for this event, email email@example.com.
SPECIAL THANKS TO
Where do I park?
- The Gardens is expecting large crowds during this event.
- Limited free parking is available in our parking complex between York and Josephine streets. Street parking is available in Cheesman Park, where posted.
- Please consider these alternate modes of transportation to avoid parking issues:
- RTD: Use routes #24 (York and Josephine Streets) or #10 (12th Avenue) to access the Gardens.
- Bicycle Colorado and Bike Streets: The Gardens joins Bicycle Colorado and Bike Streets in encouraging cycling as a form of transportation. Bike racks are available at the York Street main entrance.
- We are also offering a free park and ride service from East High School parking lot. Shuttle will run continuously from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. All riders receive one free Gardens' general admission pass for future use.
What kind of food is available?
- Offshoots Café will be open during the event.
- The Gardens’ UMB Bank Amphitheater offers a wonderful spot for picnicking. We encourage you to pack a picnic from home to enjoy at the Gardens. No alcohol will be served or permitted.
Is the event inside or outside?
Día de los Muertos is primarily an outdoor event. Wear good walking shoes and appropriate clothing to keep you warm and dry during the event.
What forms of payment will be accepted at Día de los Muertos?
The Gardens accepts cash and all major credit cards. Please note there is no ATM on site.
How much does face painting cost?
$5 simple eye design
$15 half-face color design
- The simple eye design is faster and uses less paint per guest while the half-face color design requires more time and more paint per guest. See photo gallery above for examples.
- Most face painters can paint approximately 10 faces per hour, depending on the age of the guests (adults usually take longer) and whether guests want a simple eye design or half-face color designs.