The York Street gardens will close at 3 p.m. on Aug. 23 for a private event and will close at 3 p.m. on Aug. 25 for a concert.
Denver Botanic Gardens’ observance of Día de los Muertos will be celebrated this year with indoor screenings of Disney’s Pixar film “Coco.” Seating is limited, so arrive early to shop the mercado and to get your face painted before the film.
While you’re here, enjoy the display of ofrendas created by members of the Denver community and a special holiday exhibition in the Bonsai Pavilion.
Featured Activities: Check back in October for more details.
El Mercado: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Artist vendors from Colorado share their Día de los Muertos original art pieces, prints, folk art, jewelry, t-shirt designs and more, all available for purchase. El Mercado is located outdoors and is weather dependent.
Altars of Remembrance: Denver Botanic Gardens invites artists, community groups and individuals to create nichos (altars or shrines) – to pay homage to someone special, a group of people or a cause – that are displayed during the Día de los Muertos celebration.
Interested in participating in the 2019 Altars of Remembrance?
Please review the Participant Eligibility Form and complete the application below in full. To apply, please submit your application by Friday, Aug. 30.
For more information, email email@example.com.
Volunteer: There are volunteer opportunities available for Día de los Muertos. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 720-865-3565.
Sponsorship Opportunities: For information about becoming a sponsor for this event, email email@example.com.
SPECIAL THANKS TO
Where do I park?
- The Gardens is expecting large crowds during this event.
- Limited free parking is available in our parking complex between York and Josephine streets. Street parking is available in Cheesman Park, where posted.
- Please consider these alternate modes of transportation to avoid parking issues:
- Lyft: Any new user who enters the code GARDENS19 gets $5 off their first three rides. Existing users can save 20 percent off a single ride to or from the Gardens using code DIAGARDENS2019 on Nov. 2.
- B-Cycle: There is a B-Cycle station next to our York Street entrance.
- RTD: Use routes #24 (York and Josephine Streets) or #10 (12th Avenue) to access the Gardens.
- Bicycle Colorado and Bike Streets: The Gardens joins Bicycle Colorado and Bike Streets in encouraging cycling as a form of transportation. Bike racks are available at the York Street main entrance.
What kind of food is available?
- Offshoots Café will be open during the event.
- The Gardens’ UMB Bank Amphitheater offers a wonderful spot for picnicking. We encourage you to pack a picnic from home to enjoy at the Gardens. No alcohol will be served or permitted.
Is the event inside or outside?
Día de los Muertos is primarily an outdoor event. Wear good walking shoes and appropriate clothing to keep you warm and dry during the event.
What forms of payment will be accepted at Día de los Muertos?
The Gardens accepts cash and all major credit cards. Please note there is no ATM on site.
How much does face painting cost?
$5 simple eye design
$15 half-face color design
- The simple eye design is faster and uses less paint per guest while the half-face color design requires more time and more paint per guest. See photo gallery above for examples.
- Most face painters can paint approximately 10 faces per hour, depending on the age of the guests (adults usually take longer) and whether guests want a simple eye design or half-face color designs.