Blossoms of Light is sold out Friday, Nov. 23. See our ticketing calendar for a list of sold out dates and times.
York Street gardens and Chatfield Farms are closed Thursday, Nov. 22. Chatfield Farms is also closed Friday, Nov. 23, open for Santa’s Village.
Early closures through Jan. 1 for Blossoms of Light and Santa's Village.
Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a traditional celebration that joyfully commemorates life after death by honoring ancestors and family members who have passed.
Si desea traducir toda la página a español, por favor utilice la opción “Seleccionar idioma” que encontrará al pie de la página.
For more than 3,000 years, indigenous people in Mexico practiced the tradition of celebrating death as a natural part of the life cycle. When the Conquistadors stumbled upon the Aztec Indians practicing this ritual, they believed it was a mockery of death. The Spaniards wanted to make this ritual more Christian, so they moved the dates to coincide with All Saints Day and All Souls Day (Nov. 1 and Nov. 2), when they believed the spirits of the dead visited their families.
On this day families make altars and place ofrendas, or offerings, of food and other gifts on them, such as pan de muertos baked in shapes of skulls, papel picado, candles, incense, yellow marigolds and, most importantly, a photo of the dearly departed.
Bring your family and friends to celebrate this colorful, heart-felt tradition at the Gardens! Now in its eighth year, this traditional Day of the Dead celebration offers fun for the whole family.
Día de los Muertos costumes are encouraged.
Entertainment & Activity Schedule
PROGRAMA DE ENTRETENIMIENTO Y ACTIVIDADES
UMB Bank Amphitheater
ANFITEATRO BANCO UMB
- Kids' craft corner | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (while supplies last)
Área de actividades para niños | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
(hasta agotar materiales)
- Aztec dance demonstration by Aztec Grupo Huitzilopochtli | 10 a.m.
Muestra de danza azteca por el Grupo azteca Huitzilopochtli | 10 a.m.
- Lucha Libre (weather dependent) | 11 a.m. | Noon | 1:30 p.m.
Lucha Libre (dependiendo del clima) 11 a.m. | 12 p.m. | 1:30 p.m.
- Mexican folk dance with Mexico en la Piel | 12:30 p.m.
Baile folklórico mexicano por México en la piel | 12:30 p.m.
- Daytime Calavera costume contest | 11:30 a.m.
(registration from 9-11:15 a.m.)
Concurso de disfraces de calaveras diurno | 11:30 a.m.
(inscripción de 9 a 11:15 a.m.)
- Afternoon Calavera costume contest | 2 p.m.
(registration from noon-1:45 p.m.)
Concurso de disfraces de calaveras vespertino | 2 p.m.
(inscripción de 12 a 1:45 p.m.)
- Special guests Denver Broncos Cheerleaders and Miles the Mascot (times and locations vary)
Invitados especiales: porristas Denver Broncos y Miles la Mascota (los horarios y ubicaciones varían).
- Photo booth | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Cabina fotográfica | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Silent auction and live art demonstration by Arturo Garcia | 9 a.m.
(daytime silent auction closes at 11:30 a.m.)
Subasta silenciosa y muestra artística en vivo por Arturo García | 9 a.m.
(la subasta silenciosa diurna cierra a las 11:30 a.m.)
- Silent auction and live art demonstration by Felipe Dominguez | Noon
(afternoon silent auction closes at 2:30 p.m.)
Subasta silenciosa y muestra artística en vivo por Felipe Domínguez
Mediodía | (La subasta silenciosa vespertina cierra a las 2:30 p.m.)
- Altars of Remembrance | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Exhibición de ofrendas (altares) | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
BOSQUECILLO DE ROBLES
- Community Altar | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Altar comunitario | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Candle lighting ceremony and moment of remembrance | 3 p.m.
Join us for a moment of silence to honor those who have left us.
Ceremonia de encendido de velas y momento de conmemoración | 3 p.m.
- Odyssey of the Butterfly performance art by Adriana Rondón-Rivero | 3:10 p.m.
Función “Odisea de la mariposa” por la artista Adriana Rondón-Rivero | 3:10 p.m.
- Face painting | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Tickets $10 & $20 (last ticket sold at 3 p.m.)
Expect lines as this is a popular activity
Pintacaritas | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Boletos $10 y $20 (el último boleto se venderá a las 3 p.m.)
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Artist vendors from Colorado share their Día de los Muertos original art. Prints, art pieces, folk art, jewelry, T-shirt designs and more are available for purchase.
For information about becoming a sponsor for this event, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email email@example.com with any questions about the Día de los Muertos Celebration.
SPECIAL THANKS TO
Where do I park?
The Gardens is expecting large crowds during this event.
- We encourage the use of RTD buses or Denver B-cycle to avoid parking hassles.
There is a B-cycle station next to our York Street entrance.
- Limited free parking is available in our parking complex between York and Josephine streets.
- Street parking is available in Cheesman Park, where posted.
- This year we are offering a FREE park-n-ride service from East High School parking lot. Shuttle will run continuously from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. All riders will receive one free admission pass* to the Gardens to be used at a later date. Passes will be distributed by the bus driver at East High School.
- Take the shuttle and enter to win a Friends and Family Membership to Denver Botanic Gardens.
- To enter, simply take the park-n-ride service from East High School to the Gardens. Turn your ticket in at the celebration entrance and you will be entered to win a Friends and Family Membership to the Gardens.
- Winner will be notified by November 17. Cannot be redeemed for cash value. One entry per family. Must present valid ticket for entry. By entering to win, you are opting in to receive information from the Gardens.
- *Passes are valid for general admission during normal business hours. Not valid for separately ticketed or special events.
What kind of food is available?
- Offshoots Café will be open during the event.
- The Gardens’ UMB Bank Amphitheater offers a wonderful spot for picnicking. We encourage you to bring a picnic from home to enjoy at the Gardens.
- No alcohol will be served or permitted.
What forms of payment will be accepted at Día de los Muertos?
The Gardens accepts cash and all major credit cards. Please note: there is no ATM on site.
Is the event inside or outside?
Día de los Muertos is primarily an outdoor event. Wear good walking shoes and appropriate clothing to keep you warm and dry during the event.