The elevator in the parking garage at York Street is temporarily out of service. Please park on the middle (street) level if you are not able to use the stairs.
Spring is here (well, okay, not today!), and everywhere in the Gardens, I see signs of preparation.
• Clearing: Last season’s grasses and stalks are being removed to make way for the fresh green shoots and leaves already poking up. Volunteers are a key piece of the action around here, and this time of year they are swarming the grounds like an industrious army of ants, leaving neat, tidy beds in their wake!
• Cleaning: Waterways are being drained, mucked out, and refilled. The goldfish are waking up and basking in the sunshine. Shoots are starting to poke out of the water-plant pots in the Monet pond, and fish that didn’t make it through the icy winter are being respectfully scooped and removed.
• Rehearsing: Staff set up wedding chairs in the Romantic Garden, to see what affect the Henry Moore sculpture would have on the available space. We are preparing for a busy wedding season ahead.
• Patching: Fresh gravel is being laid down on numerous paths throughout the Gardens. A cold and icy winter, along with a year’s worth of construction and construction equipment had taken a toll on our side paths.
• Repairing: New wooden posts and rails are being created and installed throughout the Boettcher Memorial Tropical Conservatory. The moist, warm environment takes a toll on the wood, and replacement is necessary every few years.
• And, of course, the plants: Cornus mas, the earliest shrub to put out blossoms, is covered with just-opening yellow flowers. Find several of these along the curvy path in the Romantic Garden.
Favorite lunch spot this week: Bask in the sun along the main pathway in front of the Water-Smart Garden, and watch the kids roll down the amphitheater. From here you can see at least three Henry Moore sculptures.
Gardens to spend time in: Spring is most evident in the Water-Smart Garden and the Rock Alpine Garden. The Green Roof garden is rich with texture and color.