Therapeutic horticulture is a sensory, plant-based, outreach and on-site program for senior adults and those with special needs.
The Gardens offers a number of ways to engage with participants:
- Winter Therapeutic Horticulture — Offered November through March, this program comes to your facility, providing a sensory tour of potted plants and a hands-on activity of your choice.
- Summer Therapeutic Horticulture — Come to the York Street gardens mid-May through September for a tour of the Sensory Garden, an activity of your choice and a plant for each participant to take home.
- Horticultural Therapy Services — The Gardens’ trained horticultural therapy staff provides consulting services to eligible for-profit and nonprofit facilities.
- SPARK! Cultural Programming for People with Memory Loss — Participants with mild memory loss have the opportunity to enjoy hands-on garden related projects. Classes are the first Wednesday of the month, March through October, and are held at York Street and Chatfield Farms.
- Farm Team — Experience a working farm, rolling open space and a historical farmstead at our Chatfield Farms location. Learn skills for vocational goals through farming and gardening activities.
- Veterans Farm Program at Chatfield Farms — This horticulture program supports the vocational, social, physical and therapeutic goals of post-9/11 military veterans.