The following websites are recommended by Helen Fowler Library as online informational resources. Denver Botanic Gardens does not control the information found at these sites. Use the information found at these sites with discretion. The links categories are:
- Plant Societies (Important: Please visit their websites and contact them directly for information about shows and sales held at the Gardens throughout the year, and confirm the time of each show or sale before you come to the Gardens.)
- Water-Smart Gardening®
- Gardening and Horticulture
- Local and Regional Gardens
- National Gardens and Arboreta
- Plant Images
- Plant Information and Identification
- African Violet Society of America, Inc.: http://www.avsa.org/
A national society dedicated to providing information about African violets.
- American Horticultural Society: http://www.ahs.org
Founded in 1922, AHS is one of the oldest national gardening organizations in the United States.
- American Iris Society: http://www.geocities.com/aisregion20/
The Colorado region of the national society dedicated to irises.
- American Conifer Society: http://www.conifersociety.org/
A national society interested in the growing and study of conifers.
- American Rose Society: http://www.ars.org
Dedicated to the enjoyment and enhancement of roses.
- Boulder Rose Society: http://www.boulderrose.org/
A Boulder-based society focusing on the genus Rosa.
- Colorado Cactus and Succulent Society: http://www.ccss-online.org
A Colorado-based society dedicated to the study of cacti and succulents.
- Colorado Dahlia Society, Doing Dahlias: http://www.dahlias.net
A Colorado-based society dedicated to the growing of dahlias.
- Colorado Mycological Society: http://www.cmsweb.org/
A Colorado-based society dedicated to the study of fungi.
- Colorado Native Plant Society: http://www.conps.org
A society dedicated to the promotion of native Colorado plants.
- Colorado Water Garden Society: http://www.colowatergardensociety.org
A society based on water gardening in Colorado.
- Denver Orchid Society: http://denverorchidsociety.org
A society dedicated to growing orchids in Colorado.
- Denver Rose Society: http://denverrosesociety.org/
A society that dedicated to the promotion of roses.
- The Gesneriad Society (formerly AGGS): www.gesneriadsociety.org
A society Web site dedicated to gesneriads.
- Herb Society of America: http://www.herbsociety.org
National society dedicated to herb growth, use and education.
- Mile High Daylily Society: http://www.milehighdaylily.com
A Colorado chapter of the national society dedicated to daylilies.
- North American Rock Garden Society: http://www.nargs.org/
A national society dedicated to rock gardening.
- Rocky Mountain Bonsai Society: http://www.rockymtnbonsai.org
A Colorado chapter of the national society dedicated to bonsai.
- Rocky Mountain Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society: http://www.rmcnargs.org
A Colorado chapter of the national society dedicated to rock gardening.
- Tropical Plant Society of Denver: www.tropicalplantsociety.org
A society dedicated to tropical & subtropical plants, and houseplants.
- Cheyenne Botanic Gardens: http://www.botanic.org/
Water conservation links appropriate to the Rocky Mountain region emphasize an ongoing commitment to a sustainable lifestyle.
- Colorado State University: http://www.drought.colostate.edu/
Provides drought restriction information for Colorado. Drought-related information and tips for water conservation may also be found here.
- Denver Water, Xeriscape and Conservation: http://www.denverwater.org/
These Web links within Denver Water's site provide information on clinics and free seminars, demonstration gardens and principles of xericape as well as many practical water saving tips.
- Green Industries of Colorado (GreenCO): http://www.greenco.org
GreenCO is an alliance of landscape-related trade provides a special section devoted to healthy plants and drought. GreenCO member organizations are also linked from this site.
- Planttalk® Colorado: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/index.html
Timely and reliable essays on all aspects of horticulture and gardening in Colorado; those explaining Xeriscape practices are found at http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/ptlk1900.html
- Plant Select®: http://www.plantselect.org
Program designed to seek out and distribute the very best plants for gardens from the high plains to the intermountain region. Here you'll find plant names, color photos, growing tips and basic information.
- Xeriscape Colorado, Inc!: http://www.xeriscape.org
A discussion of the fundamentals of xeriscaping, a bibliography of xeriscape sources and a list of xeriscape-related events are found on this Web site.
GARDENING AND HORTICULTURE
- Colorado Gardening: http://www.coloradogardening.com
Resources and information on gardening in the Colorado environment.
- Colorado Nursery and Greenhouse Association: http://www.plantsomethingco.org/
Plant something Colorado!
- Colorado State University Extension: http://www.coloradogardening.com
Information about gardening, insects, agriculture and natural resources in Colorado.
- Garden Centers of Colorado: http://www.gardencentersofcolorado.org
Current events and information on gardening in Colorado, including information on the Gardening Showcase.
- Plantfacts: http://plantfacts.ohio-state.edu
Access to information from 46 national extension offices and powerful image databases.
- Planttalk® Colorado: http://www.planttalk.org
Timely and reliable essays on all aspects of horticulture and gardening in Colorado.
- Waterlily Database: http://waterlilydatabase.com/
Information about waterlilies for anyone from universities to garden enthusiasts.
- X Rated Gardening: http://www.denverplants.com/perennials/html/xrated.htm
Xeric plants chosen by the Garden Centers of Colorado.
LOCAL AND REGIONAL GARDENS LINKS
- Betty Ford Alpine Gardens: http://www.bettyfordalpinegardens.org
- Cheyenne Botanic Gardens: http://www.botanic.org
- Hudson Gardens & Event Center: http://www.hudsongardens.org
- Nebraska Statewide Arboretum: http://www.arboretum.unl.edu
Network of gardens throughout Nebraska, headquartered at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln
- Rio Grande Botanic Garden: http://www.cabq.gov/biopark/garden/
Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Southwest Colorado Wildflowers: http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com
Wildflowers, ferns and trees of the Four Corners region of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah.
- University of New Mexico: http://www.unm.edu
Provides a description of the campus arboretum (Albuquerque, NM).
- Western Botanical Gardens & Butterfly House: http://www.wcbotanic.org
Grand Junction, Colorado
NATIONAL GARDENS AND ARBORETA
- American Association for Botanical Gardens and Arboreta: http://www.aabga.org
A directory of gardens and arboreta can be found on this site.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden: http://www.bbg.org/
Brooklyn, New York
- Chicago Botanic Garden: http://www.chicagobotanic.org
- Longwood Gardens: http://www.longwoodgardens.org
Kennet Square, Pennsylvania
- Missouri Botanical Gardens: http://www.mobot.org
St. Louis, Missouri
- New York Botanical Garden: http://www.nybg.org
Bronx, New York
- Strybing Arboretum and Botanical Gardens: http://www.strybing.org
San Francisco, California
- Curtis Botanical Magazine: http://www.nal.usda.gov/curtis/
Digitized images and text from early issues of The Botanical Magazine and Curtis' Botanical Magazine provided by the National Agriculture Library. This site can be useful for those interested in botanical illustration.
- Google Images: http://www.images.google.com
Enter the common or scientific name of a plant in the search box and numerous images are retrieved. Images may include digitized prints, personal photographs or drawings; the host link may provide useful information.
- The Noble Foundation Plant Image Gallery: http://www.noble.org/WebApps/PlantImageGallery/index.aspx
Database includes images of vascular plants. Most plants are native to Texas and Oklahoma; however, many of these plants may be found in Colorado as well.
PLANT INFORMATION AND IDENTIFICATION
- Flora of North America: http://www.fna.org/FNA
Provides access to the table of contents, sample chapters and indices of the published volumes of Flora of North America online. Links to volumes 1-4, 22, 23 and 26 are currently available.
- Internet Directory for Botany: http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/idb-alpha/botany.html
An index for botanical resources found on the Web.
- UConn Plant Database, Plant Pages: http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/a/a.html
Alphabetical listing by Latin name of several plants. Click on the plant name to access an audio pronunciation of the name and to obtain general information about the plant. Browsing by common name is available at http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/common/a.html
- United States Department of Agriculture Database: http://plants.usda.gov
A searchable database of plants in the United States and its territories by common or botanical name, providing taxonomic and location information, images and links for more information.